Saturday, 10 October 2015

Correct me if I'm wrong!

Firstly I would like to apologise for missing a few posts. I've had these pictures for two weeks, but I just didn't find any time or energy to write a post because of all the school work and all that. But I'm back and that is what matters! 
Today I want to touch on the subject of political correctness, hence the title. First off I want to clarify what that phrase even means, for anyone that doesn't already know. It's basically conforming to the idea of not using language that could offend certain groups of people and it's often used to criticize people that choose to do so. Now why is this such a controversial topic, you ask? Well the biggest argument against it is that it limits free speech. That by expecting political correctness of people, you are robbing them of their right to use whatever language they want, therefore robbing them of their freedom. And one can understand that argument to a certain degree. Yes, by eliminating certain words, you are technically speaking limiting your vocabulary. But lets look at it from a different perspective. Imagine you're a part of a minority group and people constantly use words that are demeaning to you and that can potentially hurt you. How would you feel? You probably wouldn't start defending their right to freedom of speech, now would you? Why do people find it limiting to not be able to offend or hurt people? Swapping one word with another takes literally no effort, but it might make a huge difference in how the person you're addressing it with feels. 
So why do people still choose not to do so? Well apparently some people are convinced that hurting others is their basic right and it's a sign of their personal freedom. But for me that's not freedom. To me freedom means doing what you want, as long as you aren't hurting others by doing so. Because we don't only have rights, we also have obligations. And one of them is to respect the rights of others, their rights to not be put down for being different. But somehow everyone seems to be forgetting about that part. Somehow we only think of that, when our own rights are being are being breached.
I strive to be inclusive and to cause as little harm to other sentient beings as possible. That includes using language that isn't triggering or harmful to others. And I don't feel limited by doing so. It's so easy, but it could make a huge difference. I know. I've been on the receiving end many many times and I know how much harm words can do. And I don't want to do that to anyone just because they are different than me. In my opinion, diversity is great and we have so much to learn from one another. So why not start a respectful relationship by acknowledging that certain language can affect them differently than it affects you? I am in no way saying that there should be a law prohibiting such language because that would be a breach of our rights and freedom of speech. And anyone that reacts to such language by doing harm back is also wrong to do so. You can share your opinion on the topic in the comments down bellow or on my ask.fm page. 

Now onto my outfit! I was going for effortless and elegant, but still edgy. I absolutely adore the cut of these pants and they are so comfortable. They're classy, but different. Which is always my thing. So here is my outfit, I hope you enjoy!









I'm wearing:

blouse - H&M
culottes - Zara
jacket - H&M 
shoes - Buffalo 

Thank you so much for reading and hopefully I'll be back next week! 
Until then, enjoy! 

XX, Ingrid











1 comment:

  1. Cool jacket :)
    BLOG M&MFASHIONBITES : http://mmfashionbites.blogspot.gr/
    Maria V.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
© 2013 INGRID HROVAT, AllRightsReserved.. Powered by Blogger.