Thursday, 3 September 2015

Who am I?

Hello my lovelies, it's been a long time since I last updated my blog. To be honest, I just needed some time to focus on myself and work a few things out. I realised that in order for anything to improve in my life, I needed to change my mentality and lifestyle. And that is exactly what I did. Following my last post, I started a journey towards self-discovery and self-acceptance. I wanted to feel comfortable being who I am, with all my flaws and imperfections. It's been an uphill battle, but I can sincerely say that I love who I've become. And every day I try to take another step in the right direction. 
So, I'm finally back! What now? I will try to post on a weekly basis, but I may miss a post or two here and there because I started my last year of high school and I will have a lot of work for school. 
My focus will still be on my style, but I will try to connect it with current social problems and other topics I want to discuss. If you don't agree with anything I say or if you have anything to add, feel free to comment and share your opinion down bellow. 

On my road of self-discovery something I often came across were labels. And it made me think. Are they good or are they bad? Do we need labels or are they just creating more borders between us? 
The way I see it, there are two different kinds of labels; the ones we choose ourselves and the ones given to us by others. In my opinion, you are the only person that should be able to label yourself. Whatever kind of labels others pin on you, have absolutely no value. No one knows you more than you do, so no one can decide who you are for you. You shouldn't let anyone push them upon you, especially when you're not certain you really identify with them. Now there is no need to label yourself at all and if you don't want to, that is perfectly fine. But when someone says that all labels are nonsense and that we should just stop using them altogether, I couldn't disagree more. Yes, we are all people. And I get that when someone says that, they mean well and they mean that they only judge people based on their personalities, their moral compass and so on... But what they fail to realise is, that those labels can be a big part of someone's personality. Growing up different than most people around you is something that has a big part in shaping who you are. It can take a long time to become comfortable with certain parts of yourself and those words can help you get some clarity, especially once you aren't afraid of them anymore. They can help you to better present yourself to the people around you. And while being gay or trans or black aren't the most important things to know about someone, being a part of an oppressed group or a minority can have a huge effect on your views and morals. They can also empower you and connect you to others like you, which can be incredibly helpful. And while people say that these labels divide us, I don't see it that way. They can actually help people get together and fight for a common cause. And while in an ideal world we wouldn't need to do that, the reality is much different. Of course it would be great to live in a world where it wouldn't matter what race, gender, sexuality,... you are. But we aren't there yet. And if someone chooses to tell you that they label themselves as this or that, you should accept it and not question why it is necessary. Because that person knows why and their experience is valid and it's important. And if someone chooses to not use any labels, you should also accept that and not try to do it for them. And I did say on many occasions that I don't like to label myself, but I've changed my opinion since than. Because I've found comfort and my reality in these words. I am proud to be a gay woman, I am also proud to be a vegan, a feminist, an atheist... These things are a big part of who I am. It's not all of me, but they matter. And they are just as valid as anything anyone else identifies as. 

So after turning 18 and changing a bunch of aspects of my life, I decided to also improve on my look. To me it is sort of like starting a new chapter in my life and what better way to do it, than to change my hairstyle completely. I cut it the shortest it's ever been and dyed it this gorgeous mermaid green. If any of you were wondering, I used Manic Panic in the shade Siren's song. Okay so enough about that, here are the photos of what I wore on my first day back in school. Enjoy!












I'm wearing: 

blouse - H&M 
skirt - Topshop
platforms - Buffalo 
parka - my mum's 
choker - H&M 

Thank you so much for reading and hopefully I'll be back next week! 
Until then, enjoy! 

XX, Ingrid





1 comment:

  1. aaa parka pa čevlji <3 <3 <3
    ps: ful ti paše ta barva :)

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
© 2013 INGRID HROVAT, AllRightsReserved.. Powered by Blogger.